1. Zionism is the theory that the only way to keep anti-Semitism from growing was to create an independent Jewish state.
2. An anti-Semite is someone who is prejudiced against Jews.
3. Foreign Jews were deported first because the population of foreign Jews was not as large as the others. Therefore the Germans thought that by taking a smaller group of people that it wouldn't be as alarming to the rest of the Jews.
4. The duties of the Gestapo were to secretly carry out the orders of the Nazi party. Before deportation, the Gestapo officers enforced laws on the Jews, and completely stripped the Jews of all their rights. Then, they rounded up the Jews, put them on the cattle cars, and deported them to the concentration camps. Once there, the Jews were stripped of all their valuables by the officers.
5. Rosh Hashana is the Jewish new year. The name literally means "the head of the year". During this time, Jewish people look back on the mistakes of the previous year and plan for the changes they will make in the following year.
6. Elizer prayed because he it was just a part of his everyday life. When he pondered on the question of why he prayed, he says "Why do i pray? Strange question. Why did i live? Why did i breathe?". Elizer needed to pray, like he needed to breathe and live.
7. Hasidic defines the part of Europe where certain Jews were from. It identified the specific place in which the Jews lived.
8. The central tenet of Maimonides was based on the importance and integrity of logic, mathematics, metaphysics and science. It was important to keep your mind on the sciences, and learning, instead of religion.
By:Elizabeth, Taylor, Sam H, Sam G, and Katrina