Thursday, October 23, 2008

Faith in God...

Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.

Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.

Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God Himself.
Never... (p 34)

"Yisgadal, veyiskaddash, shmey raba...
May His name be celebrated and sanctified..." whispered my father.
For the first time, I felt anger rising within me. Why should I sanctify His name? The Almighty, the eternal and terrible Master of the Universe, chose to be silent. What was there to thank Him for? (p 33)

The night had passed completely. The morning star shone in the sky. I too had become a different person. The student of Talmud, the child I was, had been consumed by the flames. All that was left was a shape that resembled me. My soul had been invaded--and devoured--by a black flame. (p 37)

Is a person truly alive if he or she has abandoned all faith...faith in God, faith in life, faith in man? What part of our identities does faith play? How can the abandonment of faith be the equivalent of death? Or can it?Discuss the prior questions in your group. It is not necessary to answer all of the questions, but rather to post an honest response and reflection of your group's conversation.

3 comments:

Missouri State Single Season Strikeout King said...

Thank you for the question. It brought up some great points for everyone to think about!

donnie p. said...

Yea, and some other touchy points!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Bethune said...

To both of you - that was my goal. Conversation, disagreement, personal reflection...all of the above. :)