Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Hardest Thing To Do


I always say, forgiveness is something that is not for the faint of heart. The truth is that forgiveness is harder than harboring hatred, it is harder than pushing the pain deep inside and burying it, and it is impossible to live without. What the Nazis did is unquestionably evil and wrong, but at the same time by wishing death and pain a thousand times worse upon them, does that make us any better? It does not. The strongest people are people that have lived through pain and let it go. The ultimate pain, to me, would be watching your entire people die and knowing that it is coming for you too. It was a hard fact to face, but it was the reality of the situation. By letting hatred for those who have done you wrong fester inside of your soul, you are letting evil into the most intimate and precious places of yourself. By letting hatred be the root of your existence, you have let the “bad guy” win. To forgive is the hardest thing to do, but to hate is to lose your purpose and your life. We must always forgive, but not forget, no matter how hard it may be because without forgiveness we have become the thing we hate.

-Erika-

3 comments:

Melanie said...

WOW! This is great Erika, truly amazing.

Andrea said...

I really like your post. I agree with everything you said. I like your sentence "By letting hatred for those who have done you wrong fester inside of your soul, you are letting evil into the most intimate and precious places of yourself." That stuck to me. It is very true and you did a great job stating exactly what you believe. I really like your last sentence too. It is very true... forgiveness doesn't mean that you forget. They always will remember their horrible past but by forgiving they are not filled with anger and revenge. They are able to live their life to the fullest. And I really agree with that. Great post! :)

Wade said...

Well i agree forgiveness is always the road to take, but its not always the easy way out. After living through something like that, I would be thankful I made it out alive, but I just don't think even if you said you forgive you really truly forgive them at heart. I just think there is always going to be a picture in your head you cant burn out and it will come around and hurt. No matter how hard you try there is still going to be pain, hurt, and hate.